Mt. Threshold Research Center is the last mission in both SWAT 4 (vanilla) and in SWAT: Elite Force. In their possibly final dispatch, the team must secure a research facility occupied by a group of treacherous suspects assuming a title for themselves as the Army of Faith. The activist group had initially intended on bombing the facility but was trapped inside the building by nearby law enforcers.
Entry and SnipersEdit
The research facility allows the team to enter through two different entry locations, one that accesses the building through the front door and main foyer, and the other that accesses the upper floor of the building through the service entrance. The choice of entry lies entirely with the player to suit his preference and convenience.
Alike St. Micheal's Medical Centre, this map does not possess any valuable sniper vantage points.
The front entrance of the facility leads the team to a large room that bears a doorway opening into a long corridor stretching laterally with respect to the door, and a staircase that leads to the upper floor of the building. On the other hand, the service entrance leads to a long passage-way bearing numerous doorways each individually leading into adjacent rooms and continuous passages.
The suspects of this level are both well equipped and well armed. They take pride in their cause and are therefore difficult to cooperate with. Neither the primary antagonist of the mission nor his accomplices wear gas masks which makes the usage of CS Gas a suitable choice. Although the doors appear to have narrow windows on them, they are purely for aesthetic purposes and are not like those found in St. Micheal's Medical Centre. Since the armed gunmen will be least inclined to comply with the Officers, the use of less-lethal weaponry is essential in order to attain a high score.
The layout of the facility nearly resembles that of a maze since various rooms, corridors and passageways are thoroughly interconnected which deems it necessary to lock (as in the case of the Elite Force mod) or wedge doors to prevent suspects from fleeing successfully and engaging those who had fled initially into rooms that have been cleared already. This feature of the map also causes another hindrance in the progression of the team, where suspects commonly get attracted by noises and sounds occurring in a room that is currently in the process of clearing. They may either interrupt the currently ongoing procedures or flee into adjacent areas adding excessive strain on the team.
Thedore Sturgeon, one of the notable civilians that must be rescued, will normally be found in either the Animal Research rooms lying adjacent to the corner formed between Side 1 and 4 or in the large room of the upper floor found just above the underlying research rooms. The briefcase that the team must secure will always be found in the same room where the Professor is located.
Elite Force ChangesEdit
- All of the suspects were made Insane i.e. they would be least hesistant to shoot hostages after threateneing to do so.
- A massive -oversight- by the developer's was fixed where the maximum morale a suspect could bear was nine times beyond its regular capacity.
- This map unlocks the M249 Saw.
- Although the game reveals that the activist group had intended to bomb the facility, there no traces of any attempt made to carry out this intention both through speech and physical evidence. Perhaps, the developers believed that if such a feature was introduced, it would be a replica of a preceeding mission - the Old Granite Hotel.
- The suspects, through their speech, seem to have a distaste for the knowledgable students and researchers by referring to them as "eggheads". In response towards their remark, the students would sometimes reply saying, "Did you even go to college?".
- Jean Trouffant, unlike his other accomplices, does not wear a hockey mask to conceal his identity. The reason for this unknown, however, it may most likely be a way of earning a dreadful reputation for himself and his group through his identity. It may also be a general convention followed by the group.