Northside Vending and Amusements is the seventh mission in SWAT 4 and the eighth in SWAT: Elite Force. The SWAT team is needed for a hostage rescue mission after contact was lost with undercover detective Jeremy Walsh, with the assumption that he is in a grave state of danger. Detective Jeremy Walsh had initially gone undercover, secretly working with the suspects at the Northside Vending and Amusements. The business was kept a close eye on for alleged bookmarking operations that took place in the basement of the business. However, after his line went dead, Walsh had not returned and would have done so if things were proceeding normally.
This one’s al little sticky. Vice has been keeping an eye on Northside Vending and Amusements for the last three or four weeks. They’ve been building a case against and alleged bookmaking operation going on in the basement of the business. Undercover detective Jeremy Walsh has been working with the suspects and today received an invitation to enter the bookmaking area.
All went smoothly until Walsh was out of sight. Walsh’s wire reported that he was still talking to the suspects, who showed no evidence of suspecting him. Less than ten minutes later, there was sudden burst of static, and then Walsh’s wire went dead. If everything was going as expected, Walsh would already be back, since he was supposed to get in, place one bet, and come right back out. With no way to determine Walsh’s actual state, we’re assuming he’s in danger and it’s time to go in after him.
We know at least three individuals are present. The first Louie Baccus, is the owner of the business. The other two are Allen Kruse and Simon Gowan. Kruse and Gowan are believed to be the movers behind the bookie operation, with Baccus providing cover and space. Vice believes there are additional suspects inside, acting as bookies and runners. Numbers are unknown, but could go as high as ten suspects total. That’s one reason Walsh was sent in, to determine the exact number of players.
Kruse and Gowan have extensive records, ranging from petty larceny to assault with a deadly weapon. Assume both are armed and dangerous. Baccus is an unknown, but given his compatriot’s histories, better to assume he is armed as well. Note that Walsh’s last recorded statement was one of surprise at “the size of your setup”. Sounded like he was impressed, which can’t mean anything too good for us.
We have a layout for the shop, but we don’t have anything on the basement. We know it’s accessed through the storage areas, but we don’t know anything about the bookie’s territory. Keep your eyes open; there could be any number of surprises. Time to get Detective Walsh out, and get the suspects under control. Choose your gear carefully and move out.
Entry and SnipersEdit
The team can enter the building through only a single entry point, that is the back door that leads into the establishment. For aesthetic purposes, the door is barricaded and this barricade is removed by the SWAT van as the team approaches the door.
Sierra One covers what is assumed to be a storage area of the establishment.
Northside Vending And Amusements seals and lends arcade games, pinballs and other kinds of games. The shop is rather small. The front part of the shop is a main shopping area with cash desk and items intended for sale. Behind the cash desk is a door that leads to small corridor with toilet and back door. The main warehouse of the shop is rather spacious and contains two garage doors and bigger items intedned for sale or fresh deliveries such as billiard tables. The more importat thing is that the warehouse contains door to the basement that leads to the illegal casino. The casino located beneath the establishment is more spacious and contains many rooms. The eastern part of the casino is designed more in casino. The rooms in the eastern part contains amenities such as tables for playing cards, gaming machines or Craps. The western part of the casino is designed more betting with rooms filled with TVs and armchairs that are speparated from each other via cubicles. There is also employee area only that connects two parts and has a security office. There are also stairs that leads to closed down laundromat which is next to Northside Vending And Amusements shop and apparently belongs to the gangsers just like the casino.
Through the back door, the team is lead into a corridor bearing two doorways each opening into the washroom and the establishment's front entry. Louie Baccus is almost always found in either of these two rooms or in the main storage area that Sierra One covers and he is never found beyond this point. He may also be accompanied by Allen Kruse and one or two additional suspects. The storage area also a bears an additional, less extensive floor above it that overlooks the majority of the large room. Allen Kruse is often found here. The room then continues behind leading to a door that bears the only passage to the lower floor of the establishment and apparently the laundromat as well. Assuming that campaign settings have been applied to the map, when the player reaches the bottom of this passage and begins exploring the lower floor of the building, the team will be tasked with an additional objective to investigate the adjacent laundromat in response to recent gunshots that were heard being fired from this place.
The layout of the lower floor is what must concern the player the most, as it is densely occupied by a large number of suspects and apparently bears the only path leading to the laundromat for the team. The lower floor, to some extent, forms a loop that circles the entire lower floor of the building and also conatins numerous other passage-ways, interconnecting doorways and rooms that cut across this individual passage. The suspects are poorly equipped and wear neither any sort of armor nor gas masks. Most of the suspects are lightly equipped and very few may comply immediately when called upon to do so by the Officers. To limit any sort of attempt made by the suspects to retreat, it is both advised and generally a good tactic to either wedge or lock doors (as in the case of the Elite Force mod).
As the team proceeds to enter the laundromat from one of the casinos found in the lower floor of the building, the team will be lead into a small room that bears two doorways each leading into the laundromat itself and an adjacent washroom. Jeremy Walsh may be found incapacitated in either here or anywhere else in the adjacent laundromat. The laundromat itself is a large room partially divided at the centre by a row of washing-machines and bears an additional room beside it that can be easily accessed as it lacks any form of obstruction such as doors, immovable objects etc.
Elite Force changesEdit
- The map now contains traps that were initially cut from the original game. These traps are often found on the doors at the bottom of the only stairway that leads the team to the lower floor of the building. Similarly a cut conversation between Lead and TOC was restored when the team had tripped the above mentioned traps.
- Louie Baccus was made Fearless, in a sense that he would be less inclined towards complying with the Officers. All of the suspects were also assigned a Polite personality so that they would be more hesistant in eliminating hostages when they had threatened to do so.
- Depending on the area where the doorway is found, respective Make Entry commands were assigned.
- This map unlocks the FN P90 PDW.
- The briefing suggests that Loiue Baccus is armed. It's possible to assume this since he is responsible for providing the space and cover required for the bookie operations and in order to defend himself it is obvious that he must wield a firearm. However, in the mission he plays the role of a regular, stubborn hostage and never appears to be armed. He also rarely poses neither a threat nor hinders the Officers' progression.
- Although active gunshots can be heard as the team is introduced with an additional objective to investigate the laundromat, there is no active shooting that actually takes place. In reality, the mission begins immediately with Detective Walsh incapacitated and he is never really shot as the mission progresses. This is clearly evident as when the player checks the procedures tab as soon as the mission begins, there will always be a single unreported status to TOC which is actually Detective Walsh's incapacitation that the team is yet to report.
- This mission is the only mission in the game to explicitly feature an objective to arrest an identity rather than to rescue Louie Baccus as a hostage or neutralise him as a suspect. The reason for this understood since Louie Baccus is, to an extent, indirectly involved in the bookie operations.
|SWAT 4 Missions|
|SWAT 4||Original||Food Wall Restaurant - Fairfax Residence - Qwik Fuel Convenience Store - A-Bomb Nightclub - Victory Imports Auto Center - Red Library Offices - Northside Vending and Amusements - DuPlessis Wholesale Diamond Center - Children of Taronne Tenement - St. Michael's Medical Center - The Wolcott Projects - Old Granite Hotel - Mt. Threshold Research Center|
|The Stetchkov Syndicate||FunTime Amusements - Sisters of Mercy Hostel - Sellers Street Auditorium - Department of Agriculture - Drug Lab - Fresnal St. Station - Stetchkov Warehouse|
|Extra Missions||Riverside Training Facility - Brewer County Courthouse - Enverstar Power Plant - Meat Barn Restaurant|