St. Michael's Medical Center is the tenth mission in SWAT 4 and the fourteenth mission in SWAT: Elite Force. The SWAT team is responsible for dealing with an international crisis when Hyun-Jun Park, a south korean diplomat, was attacked by a group of well-armed terrorists in a hospital following an earlier unsuccessful attack on him at a restaurant.
Alright, men, we have an international incident in our hands. Hyun-Jun Park is a South Korean diplomat. Earlier today he was attacked by six gunmen while exiting a restaurant. Mr. Park was injured in the attack, although his personal security got him to safety. The gunmen escaped after the initial attack. Mr. Park was sentenced to St. Michael’s Medical Center for emergency treatment. Since there wasn’t time to secure the hospital, Mr. Park’s security accompanied him into the patient ward.
Mr. Park is one of senior officials attached to the South Korea embassy he has been addressing the United Nations for the last two days during the current round of reunification talks. Mr. Park is a major advocate in favor of reunification; he is one of the primary voices in the South Korean delegation. We assure this attack is related to his political intentions, but we don’t know who was behind it. Whoever they were, they were very well equipped and well organized, ambushing Mr. Park in a location not on his official travel itinerancy.
Now St. Michael’s has been rushed by a group of gunmen, presumably the same ones who attacked Mr. Park earlier. They are well armed, and are moving straight through the hospital in an attempt to locate their target. They are not interested in taking hostages, and they’ve been brutal in their attack on the hospital. Choose your entry, get your gear together, and get in there.
Entry and Snipers Edit
The hospital features two rather distinctive entry points, one that accesses the main foyer and the other that accesses the hallway from the research wing. Considering the intensive difficulty of the level, the choice of an entry point may be vital and essential in order to succeed in it.
There are no suitable places for snipers in this map.
St. Michael’s Medical Center is an old hospital that recently has been modernized and expanded. It contains unknown number of floors and wards, but it is known the Intensive Care Unit contains two floors: the first floor and the basement. On the first floor of the hospital's ICU ward is front foyer and hospital's reception where the patients and visitors could register themselves. Not far from the reception is waiting room with several chairs and bench seats so the visitors could wait in comfort for their families or loved ones who are on the ward. There are several books and TV's for entertainment. Behind the reception there is a door which leads to nurses' station filled with syringes, gauze, surgical masks, medicines and other medical equipment. In the reception area there are also elevators and next to them there is a door to the ICU ward. In the ward there are several rooms for patients with serious wounds or after accidents. These rooms are equipped with various facilities for patients such as curtains, cupboards or TV sets. One of the rooms is adapted more for children since apart from normal equipment there are several pictures with animals on the walls, balloons and toys. Apart from rooms for patients there is also radiology file desk and the room in which the X-rays are being held and analyzed. Behind the radiology file desk there are a double doors that lead to research ward of St. Michael’s Medical Center. It's worth to mention that the whole first floor, reception, ward and patient rooms are filled with medical posters depicting human body, internal organs or dangers of overdosing drugs. Also in front of the elevators there are four images with founders of St. Michael’s Medical Center. The basement level serves mostly as storage area and contains cloakroom with showers for nurses and doctors. Also in the basement is a morgue where the bodies of recently died patients are being kept. The morgue contains tables for autopsy, microscopes, weights for internal organs and obviously refrigerators to store corpses.
In most cases, more preference lies with the secondary entrance as it directly sweeps through the entire building in a straightforward manner with little to no deviation in direction. However, the choice of entry lies entirely within the player depending on his preference. The suspects are well-armed, well-equipped with body armour but without gas masks hence proving the use of CS Gas beneficial.
A few portions of the Centre, especially the lower floor of the building, are interconnected and often have two or more alternative entries, making it essential to either lock (as in the case of the Elite Force mod) or wedge certain doors. Another feature of the level that introduces a much higher level of difficulty when using less-lethal weapons is the presence of numerous large windows that allow only the projectiles of lethal arms to pass through and not those of non-lethal arms. Smaller such structured windows are found atop doors. If the Player is caught in a comprising situation where they are unable to fire their less-lethal firearm at a suspect they see through a window who is threatening to kill a hostage; the player must swiftly respond by possibly barging into the room and ordering the suspect to comply with force lest the hostage be executed accompanied by the Player's incompetence to complete the mission successfully.
Hyun-Jun Park is generally found in either the upper floor of Side 2 or anywhere in the lower floor mostly in the changing rooms of Side 1. Accompanied by him will be his personal guard who will most likely comply with the Officers when ordered to do so. However in the expansion, if the suspects attempt to flee after having complied they will refuse to do so again unless forced by less lethal means.
Elite Force Changes Edit
- The terrorists were made Insane i.e. they would be less hesitant to kill hostages when they have compelled to do so, however the guard of Hyun-Jun Park were made Polite i.e. the reverse of insanity.
- This map unlocks the Silenced Uzi.
- St. Michael's Medical Center is the only map in the entire game series to feature civilians that begin as declared dead or DOA's. This is made by suspects brutal attack on hospital as they weren't interested in taking hostages and thus killing any unfortunate civilians.
- At the beginning of the mission when the team spots the television with the news reporter explicitly revealing their tactical entry, the player requests TOC to cut the cable connection to prevent the suspects from acknowledging the presence of the team in the building. Numerous such televisions have been located in the building yet very few to none of the suspects appear to be aware of the team's presence and are mostly either shocked or surprised after their first encounter. This may perhaps be an oversight on the developer's path or may have been an unimplemented feature as it may have been deemed unnecessary and would also have little of an impact.
- If the player were to shoot the television before it completed broadcasting the news of the team's presence in the building, the player's conversation with TOC does not occur.
- The suspects of this mission are perhaps the only ones to bear an oddly similar appearance to the Officers. Additionally, they do not appear as an available arch-type in the Mission Maker as well.